What is the Loudoun Transition Initiative?
Sustainable Loudoun and George Washington University are hosting a public forum at the Loudoun GWU campus on the evening of Nov 30th to discuss the Loudoun Transition Initiative. What is a transition initiative and why should we attend?
We are living in an age of unprecedented change, with a number of crises converging. Climate change, global economic instability, erosion of community, declining biodiversity, and resource wars, have all stemmed from the availability of cheap, non-renewable fossil fuels. Global oil production is predicted to irreversibly decline in the next years, and severe climate changes are already taking effect around the world. The coming shocks are likely to impose serious trials on our communities and families, so transition initiatives work to mitigate these risks in a positive manner.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Andrea McGimsey, Climate Reality Project
- "Climate Reality: Why Should We Care?"
- Capt. (Navy, ret.) Leo Goff, CNA Military Advisory Board
- "Energy Resources: A Matter of National Security"
- Stewart Schwartz Executive Director, Coalition for Smarter Growth
- Sustainable Land Use and Transportation Potential in Loudoun
- Will Stewart President, Sustainable Loudoun
- The Transition Initiative: What it is and Where We are Going…
Doors open Friday, Nov 30th at 6pm.
We will have refreshments and some local vendors in attendance.
Presentations begin at 7pm.
George Washington University, Loudoun Campus
20101 Academic Way, Ashburn VA
Sponsors: GW University, REHAU, Harris-Teeter, Corcoran Vineyards